Critters in the Hay
A Halloween-themed bowlful of pumpkin pie spiced-candied popcorn mingled with candy corn, candy spiders and gummy worms.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon green food color (optional)
3 1/2 quarts popped popcorn; remove unpopped kernels
1 cup candy corn
Black licorice ropes
Small black gum drops or other small black candies
1 tube red decorator icing
Red hots candy
- In Dutch oven, bring sugar,corn syrup and butter to a boil; boil 2 1/2 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin pie spice, vanilla,salt and food coloring, if desired; mix well. Add popcorn and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread popcorn mixture in a single layer on sheets of foil; cool completely. Break into bite-size pieces and mix with candy corn in a wide shallow bowl; set aside.
- To make spiders, cut licorice into 2 inch lengths. To make legs, starting at
one end, make three 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch lengthwise cuts to make four legs.
Repeat cuts at opposite end. Leave about 1/2-inch in center uncut. Gently pull legs apart and curl down. Push wooden pick through center of body, leaving about 1/4-inch exposed on top.
- Push one gumdrop onto exposed pick to make a body. Squeeze two small dots of icing into gumdrops. Press red hots into icing to make eyes.
- Place spiders and gummy worms in the candied popcorn. Remove wooden picks before eating.
Makes 4 quarts.