Eggnog Cookie Wreaths with Nutmeg Glaze
This Christmas, turn your favorite holiday drink into sweet, wreath-shape cookies complete with aromatic nutmeg and red and green candied bows.
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons eggnog
6 red candied cherries, each cut into 8 slivers
6 green candied cherries, each cut into 8 slivers
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half.
- Place half the dough at a time in a heavy resealable plastic bag or a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Cut a 1/2-inch hole in one corner of the bag. Pipe the dough into the ungreased cups of a mini doughnut pan, filling the cups to the rims.
- Bake about 8 minutes or until light golden and firm to the touch. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Invert pan over a wire rack to remove cookies and let cool.
- In a small bowl stir together the powdered sugar and enough of the eggnog to make a dippable glaze. Dip the rounded sides (bottoms) of the cookies in the glaze, allowing excess to run off. While glaze is wet, arrange the red and green candied cherries on cookies to resemble bows. Let stand until set.
Makes 24 cookies.
To Store: Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): 162 kcal cal., 8g fat (5g sat. fat, 0g polyunsaturated fat, 2g monounsatured fat), 29mg chol., 122mg sodium, 21g carb., 0g fiber, 12g sugar, 1g protein.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.