Polish Rugelach with Variations
A sweet pastry, rugelach (also called walnut horns) are made in the form of a crescent by rolling a triangle of dough around a filling.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Cranberry Nut Filling:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
2/3 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts or almonds
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup thick apricot preserves
3/4 cup toasted finely chopped walnuts or almonds
1 cup shaved bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, beaten
Additional granulated sugar
- For Dough: Beat butter and cream cheese in large bowl until light. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Mix in flour and salt. Gather dough into ball and gently knead until smooth. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Gather each into ball; flatten into disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
- For Cranberry Nut Filling: Mix 3/4 cup sugar, cranberries, walnuts, butter, cinnamon and allspice in small bowl to blend. Set aside.
- For Apricot filling: Mix apricot preserves and nuts in small bowl to blend. Set aside.
- For Chocolate filling: Mix chocolate and sugar in small bowl to blend. Set aside.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F (175°C).
- To Assemble: Place 1 dough disk on floured work surface (keep remaining 7 dough disks refrigerated). Roll out dough to an 8-inch round. Spread 3 tablespoons filling over round, leaving 1/2-inch border. Cut round into 8 wedges. Starting at wide end of each wedge, roll up tightly and completely to tip.
- Place cookies, tip pointing down, on ungreased baking sheet and form into crescents. Repeat with 3 more dough disks and filling. Brush cookies with egg. Sprinkle with additional sugar over. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool. Repeat with remaining 4 disks, filling, egg and sugar.
Makes 64 cookies.