Chanukah White Cheesecake
White, creamy cheesecake topped with chocolate covered Chanukah gelt.
1 1/3 cups crushed shortbread cookies
4 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 pounds cream cheese
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
5 large eggs
1 can condensed milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 to 3 drops each: Boyajian orange and lemon oil (optional)
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons confectioner's (powdered) sugar
Gold chocolate gelt
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- For crust, mix all ingredients and pat into the bottom of a 10-inch spring-form pan.
- For filling, cream the cheese with the sugar and flour. Add condensed milk, eggs, vanilla, (orange and lemon oil) and mix well (on slow speed), making sure bottom is well scraped. Pour into cake pan.
Place on a baking sheet and place in oven. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°F (160°C). and bake until just set - about 30 minutes.
- Raise oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- For topping, whisk together sour cream, vanilla and confectioner's sugar. Spread over top of cake. Place cake back in oven for 8 minutes. Turn off oven and let cake cool (in oven) for at least 1 hour.
Remove to refrigerator.
- To serve, top cake with gelt. (Sometimes I serve this with grated white chocolate and coins on top and a side of raspberry puree).
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe Source: The Baker Boulanger - Seasonal Table, by Marcy Goldman.