Nana Miller's Best Chopped Liver
"There is no chopped liver like the one my mom, Sema Miller, made. She passed away two years ago but—thank goodness—she taught me how to make it." Recipe submitted by Carolyn Millman.
5 large eggs, hard-boiled
1 pound chicken livers
4 to 5 onions, finely chopped
Salt and ground black pepper
- Boil the eggs until they are hard cooked; cool, peel and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place chicken livers on a greased baking sheet and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder as desired. Bake the chicken livers until done but NOT dry.
- In a large skillet, fry the onions in a generous amount of cooking oil (see step 6) until soft (not too brown) .
- Place all the cooked eggs, chicken livers and fried onions in a food processor and blend.
- Add some of the oil from cooking the onions and puree until smooth. Does not have to be too smooth - you decide.
- Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Serve at room temperature.
Makes about 4 to 5 cups.