Leg of Lamb, Ale and Lemon Marinade
Recipe courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.
1 whole boneless leg of lamb, butterflied (about 5 pounds)
Ale and Lemon Marinade:
1 cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 cup ale or beer
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- (Prepared from boneless, netted leg of lamb.) Remove netting and roll/fold the leg open to make as flat as possible.
- For Ale and Lemon Marinade: Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Place lamb in a shallow bowl and pour marinade over. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 to 3 hours or overnight, turning the lamb from time to time.
- Set up a covered gas or charcoal grill for indirect cooking.
- Remove lamb from marinade and discard marinade.
- Cook lamb for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 125°F (51.6°C) to 130°F (54.4°C) in the thickest part for medium rare. Thinner parts will be more done.
- Remove from grill and let lamb rest for 10 to 15 minutes loosely covered with foil.
- Cut into slices and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.