Leg of Lamb in a Southwest Marinade
Recipe courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.
1 whole boneless leg of lamb, butterflied* (about 5 pounds)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons tequila (optional)
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Remove netting and roll/fold the leg open to make as flat as possible.
- For Southwest Marinade: Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Place lamb in a shallow bowl and pour marinade over. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours or overnight, turning the lamb over from time to time.
- Set up a covered gas or charcoal grill for indirect cooking. Remove lamb from marinade and discard marinade. Cook lamb for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature in the thickest part reaches 125°F (51.6°C) to 130°F (54.4°C) for medium rare. Thinner parts will be more done.
- Remove lamb from grill and let rest, covered loosely with foil, for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Makes 6 servings.
*Prepared from boneless, netted leg of lamb.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Meat and Livestock Australia.