Apple Lasagna with Fall Greens
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association.
12 lasagna noodles
1 small onion, diced (about 4 tablespoon)
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup apple cider
1 cup vegetable broth*
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons thyme leaves
1 cup applesauce
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup whole milk mozzarella, shredded
4 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1 1/2 cups turnip greens or Swiss chard, cooked, drained, chopped, and seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg
- For Pasta: Cook 12 lasagna noodles in 4 quarts, lightly salted, boiling water until tender. Drain well and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- For Sauce: In a heavy, non aluminum saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook until clear, approximately three minutes.
- Add flour, stir well; cook approximately three minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add apple cider and vegetable broth; simmer.
- Season with salt, pepper, spices, and thyme. Add applesauce and lemon juice. Continue to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring until medium thick consistency.
- To Assemble: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly oil an 8-inch x 11-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Place one layer of pasta on bottom, spread 1/3 of the sauce, and then a layer of greens, followed by a thin layer of cheese.
- Repeat; finishing with sauce and cheese on top (should have four layers total).
- Cover with foil. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes Remove foil and continue to bake for 15 to 20 minutes
- Remove; let cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 366; Total Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 141mg; Total Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 479mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association.