Baked Mushroom Mac 'n' Cheese
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
4 ounces (about 2 cups) elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound white button mushrooms, sliced
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, heat olive oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a single layer of mushrooms and cook, without stirring, for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms become red-brown on one side. Flip mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes more, until other side is same color.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and stir in flour. Cook for a minutes or two to slightly toast flour. Stir in salt and whisk in milk. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to slightly thicken sauce, for about five minutes.
- Remove from heat, whisk in cheeses and stir to melt. Stir in mushrooms and pasta and transfer to greased 3-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Place dish on baking sheet and bake until cheese bubbles around the edges, about 30 minutes Remove from oven and let rest for about five minutes.
- Serve warm.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 423; Total Fat: 26g; Cholesterol: 208mg; Total Carbs: 21g; Protein: 23g; Sodium: 842mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.