Baked Rice Primavera
A hearty, Italian-style baked rice and vegetable casserole.
10 large mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
5 teaspoons olive oil
4 cups cooked rice
1 (15-ounce) can chunky Italian-style tomato sauce, or 2 cups homemade sauce
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Swiss cheese
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley (flat-leaf)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons grated Wisconsin Parmesan cheese
- Lightly butter a 13 x 9 inch baking dish; set aside.
- In large roasting pan, toss vegetables and oil until ingredients are lightly coated. Roast at 425°F (220°C) for about 35 minutes, or until vegetables are nicely browned, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
- In large mixing bowl, combine roasted vegetables and remaining ingredients, except Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon mixture into reserved baking dish; smooth to make an even layer. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.