Beer-Battered Portabella Strips with Spicy Dipping Sauce
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
3 cups beer or ale
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 quarts mayonnaise
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
24 Portabella mushrooms, slice about 3/8-inch thick (about 2.5 ounces each; stems reserved for other use)
Lemon zest, for garnish as needed
- Whisk together beer and flour; let sit at least 2 hour
- To make sauce, mix mayonnaise, zest, lemon juice, cilantro and cayenne pepper until well combined; reserve.
- Dip Portabella strips into reserved beer batter.
- Deep fry until crisp and golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Serve with 1/4 cup Spicy Sauce on the side. Garnish with lemon zest, if desired.
Makes 24 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.