Creamy Risotto with Cheeses
For a pungent, earthy flavor that brings out the full flavor of the cheeses, add a few drops of white truffle oil to the risotto a few seconds before plating.
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup mild white onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, smashed into a paste
1 1/2 cups arborio rice (if you want a creamier style, try cracked arborio
1 3/4 cups vegetable stock
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
3 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
White truffle oil, to taste (optional)
- Heat a 2-quart, thick-bottomed sauce pan. Add the oil, then the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring until the onion is translucent.
- Add the rice and stir to coat it with the onion mixture. Add the stock, slowly, 1/2 cup at a time, as the rice absorbs the liquid. Continue to stir slowly. When most of the liquid is added and the rice has a firm texture and is cooked through, add a pinch of salt and fresh turns of pepper.
- Stir in the fontina cheese, then the Parmesan. If the mixture is dry, add a little more stock.
- Taste and season, as necessary. Stir in the parsley and white truffle oil.
- Distribute the risotto into four bowls. Sprinkle with additional herbs for a colorful finish.
Makes 4 main dish or 8 side dish servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.