Easy Black Bean Lasagna
Serve this easy and wholesome Southwestern black bean lasagna with a green salad and fresh pineapple spears.
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 (15-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
3/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup chunky-style salsa
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
8 ounces cottage cheese
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 teaspoon fresh garlic)
2 large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
10 lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 1/2 cups each Wisconsin Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, tomatoes, refried beans, onion, green pepper, salsa, chili powder and cumin. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese, garlic powder, eggs and salt and pepper. Spread 1 cup of the tomato mixture in bottom of baking dish.
- Top with half of the noodles, overlapping slightly. Top with half of remaining tomato mixture. Spoon cottage cheese mixture over the top, and top with half of the cheese, then the remaining noodles, tomato mixture and cheese. Cover with spray-coated foil (can be refrigerated up to one day).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes, uncover and let stand 15 minutes before serving. (If refrigerated beforehand, add 15 minutes to baking time.)
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.