Eggplant "Parmigiana" Wisconsin-Style
This excellent recipe for eggplant parmigiana was created by chef Sanford D’Amato.
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Wisconsin Aged Asiago Cheese (about 4 ounces)
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil - divided use
1 eggplant (about 24 ounces) cut crosswise in 16 thin (3/16-inch thick) slices
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 1/2 cups seasoned tomato or marinara sauce, homemade or top quality purchased
8 ounces Wisconsin Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, cut in 16 slices
16 fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
1/4 cup Italian green olives, pitted and sliced 3/16-inch thick
- In small bowl, mix Asiago Cheese, bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil; set aside.
- Using 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, brush eggplant slices on both sides; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill each slice 3 minutes; turn and grill 2 minutes longer. Remove slices and cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In large baking pan, spoon 8 tablespoons of tomato sauce in 8 circles. Place a slice of eggplant over each pool of sauce. Top with 1 slice Mozzarella, a basil leaf and another tablespoon of sauce. Repeat layers, using all ingredients and ending with all remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle the cheese/crumb mixture over each eggplant stack. Drizzle remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over all stacks.
- Bake 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle capers and olives over each stack.
Makes 4 servings.
*If made ahead and refrigerated, reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C). and bake 25 minutes.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.