Fresh Tomato Pie
"A great way to use surplus tomatoes from your garden. Tasty served warm or cold! You may want to add chopped fresh herbs for flavor." Recipe submitted by Britt Terry.
1 (9-inch) unbaked pastry shell
6 to 8 ripe tomatoes
1 medium onion
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Fresh basil leaves, garnish
Fresh oregano, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake the pastry shell for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned.
- Slice onion and place in the bottom of pastry shell. Slice tomatoes and arrange over onions. Add black pepper to taste.
- In a medium bowl, combine mozzarella, Parmesan and mayonnaise. Spread this mixture evenly over tomatoes.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Once cooked, garnish with fresh herbs.
Makes 4 servings.