Georgia Pecan Vegetable Torte with Cheddar
A meatless main-course dish, this torte is a mosaic of vegetable flavors and colors, enriched with layers of cheese and pecan. Serve it warm or at room temperature with a simple green salad.
3/4 cup chopped pecans - divided use
1 large sweet potato (approximately 12 ounces)
Salt and ground black pepper
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced (not separated into rings)
2 (10-ounces each) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese flavored with chives (about 1 1/2 cups) - divided use
2 medium (5-ounces each) yellow squash
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red pepper, drained, sliced and cleaned
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Oil the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Peel the sweet potato and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Arrange the sweet potato in overlapping layers in bottom of pan, sprinkling lightly with salt and ground black pepper. Cover pan with foil and bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet and sauté onion until tender; set aside. Drain the spinach and squeeze in a colander to remove excess liquid. Combine spinach, 1 cup cheese, salt and ground black pepper to taste and mix well; set aside.
- Uncover pan and spread spinach mixture evenly on top of sweet potato layer; sprinkle with 1/4 cup pecans.
- Slice the yellow squash crosswise into very thin (about 1/8-inch thick) rounds and layer in pan alternating with the onion.
- Top with 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup cheese, the basil, salt and ground black pepper. Arrange red pepper pieces in a single layer on top.
- Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet and press down on torte with the back of a metal spatula to squeeze out any remaining excess liquid. Drain the liquid, brush the red pepper layer lightly with oil and bake torte on top of baking sheet 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle torte with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and pecans and bake 6 to 8 minutes longer or until cheese melts and pecans are lightly toasted.
- Cool at least 15 minutes.
- To serve, run a thin knife around the inside edge of pan to loosen torte. Remove sides of pan and cut into wedges to serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 330; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 30mg; Total Carbs: 30g; Fiber: 7g; Protein: 13g; Sodium: 266mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Georgia Pecan Commission.