Linguine with Mushroom Caesar Sauce
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
8 ounces linguine (uncooked)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced onion
1 pound (about 5 cups) fresh white mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups small Caesar or Italian flavored croutons
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fill a large saucepan with salted water; bring to a boil. Add linguine; cook until pasta is firm-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; set aside. Transfer pasta to a large serving bowl; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil until hot. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium; add mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and just release their liquid, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in roasted red peppers, salt and black pepper; cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Add the reserved cooking liquid; pour over linguine. Stir in croutons and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.