Mac 'n Cheese with Olives
Recipe courtesy of the National Pasta Association.
1 pound elbow macaroni, rotini or other medium pasta shape
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups skim buttermilk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4-ounce)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup diced red pepper
1/4 cup chopped green or black olives
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium saucepan, whisk oil and flour together and cook for one minutes Slowly whisk in buttermilk and bring sauce to a boil. Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese, salt, black pepper, cayenne, red peppers, olives, green onions and parsley. Stir until cheese has melted.
- In a large bowl, toss together cheese sauce and pasta. Spoon into a 2-quart casserole dish sprayed with vegetable spray.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake until heated, about 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Pasta Association.