Macaroni and Beans
This flavorful tomato, bean and macaroni skillet supper will satisfy the heartiest of appetites.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups vegetable broth
1 (19-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/3 cups small macaroni noodles
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add celery and onion; sauté until softened.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper; simmer 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in broth and white beans; bring to a boil.
- Add noodles; simmer for 9 to 10 minutes, or until noodles are tender.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and serve warm.
Makes 4 servings.
- Substitute cheddar cheese for Parmesan cheese.
- For a crispy cheese topping, put dish in the oven for about 10 minutes at 450°F (230°C).