Macaroni and Cheese
with Aged Cheddar and Asiago Cheese
Chef Gregg Wangard's terrific take on the classic comfort food.
1 pound elbow macaroni
Black pepper, freshly ground
2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin aged cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin asiago cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add macaroni; bring back to boil and cook 5 minutes. Drain, rinsing with cold water.
- Butter an 8 x 11-inch baking dish. Spread 1/3 of the macaroni over the bottom. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Combine cheeses in a bowl and sprinkle 1/3 of the cheeses over the macaroni. Continue with 2 additional layers of macaroni and cheeses.
- Combine milk and cream and slowly pour over macaroni.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking until top browns a bit, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.