Macaroni and Cheese with Basil
This slimmed-down version of mac 'n cheese is given a flavor makeover with the addition of cherry tomatoes and fresh basil.
1 3/4 cups medium elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups skim milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Wisconsin Cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons grated Wisconsin Parmesan cheese
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; add flour, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in dry mustard and next 3 ingredients.
- Add cheddar cheese; stir until melted.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and top with cherry tomatoes and basil.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: If desired, whole milk and cheddar cheese can be used.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.