Mediterranean Macaroni and Cheese
Fontina and provolone cheeses, and ripe olives, add a Mediterranean twist to this rich, creamy and inviting macaroni and cheese casserole.
3 cups (12 ounces) elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup white onion, finely diced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups warm milk
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Fontina Cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Provolone Cheese, shredded
1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
1 tablespoon minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cook macaroni according to the package instructions, or until al dente. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan, add onion and sauté for 2 minutes or until transparent. Blend in flour, stirring well to incorporate, and cook for an additional minute.
- Whisk the milk into butter-and-flour mixture. Bring to simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Reduce to low heat and add pepper and mustard.
- Mix the Fontina and Provolone Cheeses. Stir 2 1/2 cups of the cheeses into the sauce.
- Add cooked macaroni and sliced olives to cheese sauce, and mix well.
- Place macaroni mixture in buttered, oven-proof, 9 x 9-inch dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Sprinkle the surface with parsley just before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.