Mini Mushroom Mac 'n Goat Cheese
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
4 ounces (about 2 cups) cavatappi pasta, uncooked (can substitute spirals)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound assorted mushrooms (such as Portabella, crimini, shiitake and oyster), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
6 ounces fresh goat cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a single layer of mushrooms and cook, without stirring, for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms become red-brown on one side. Flip mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes more, until other side is same color.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and stir in flour. Cook for a minute or two to slightly toast flour.
- Stir in salt and whisk in milk. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to slightly thicken sauce, for about five minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat, whisk in cheeses, rosemary and thyme and stir to melt.
- Stir in mushrooms and pasta and divide between four (1-cup) ramekins.
- Place ramekins on baking sheet and bake until cheese bubbles around edges, about 15 to 20 minutes Remove from oven and let rest for about five minutes Serve warm.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.