Navy Beans and Eggplant Curry
Serve this curried complexity of beans and vegetables, laced with sweet raisins, with a dollop of plain yogurt.
1 (16-ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil - divided use
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup vegetable stock
2 carrots, sliced
2 cups potatoes, diced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
2 cups onions, chopped
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 medium zucchini, sliced
2 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped, reserving liquid
1/4 cup raisins
8 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- Place eggplant cubes in a colander and sprinkle evenly with salt. Set aside for 30 minutes to dry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add eggplant and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Remove eggplant from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet and add curry, cumin, garlic, and pepper. Stir in stock, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, green pepper, onions, and cauliflower. Cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Return the eggplant to the pan and add beans, zucchini tomatoes, and raisins. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt.
Makes 8 (1 1/2 cup) servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 310; Carbohydrates: 58g; Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Protein: 10g; Fiber: 9g; Sodium: 377mg (595mg using canned beans).
Food Exchanges: 2 starch/bread; 1 lean meat ; 2 fruit.
Recipe provided courtesy Michigan Bean Commission.