Orecchiette Pasta with
Yellow Tomatoes, Asparagus and Italian Cheeses
A simple, yet incredibly flavorful pasta toss with tender asparagus, shallots, juicy ripe yellow tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella and asiago cheeses.
1/2 pound asparagus, tough ends discarded
2 shallots, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large (about 1 1/2 pounds) ripe yellow tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup crispy, dry white wine
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup basil, cut in thin "ribbons" (chiffonade)
1/2 pound orecchiette (Italian for little ears) pasta, cooked al dente
1/3 cup Wisconsin Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Wisconsin Asiago Cheese, shredded
- Cover asparagus with boiling water. Cover and let sit 3 minutes. Drain. Grill on lightly-oiled griddle or skillet over high heat until asparagus is al dente and somewhat browned. Set aside. When cool, cut into 3 to 4-inch pieces.
- Sauté shallots and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add tomatoes and sauté until they are soft and give up juices.
- Add wine and vegetable stock. Boil over high heat until reduced by about a fourth.
- Add asparagus pieces and basil; mix.
- Add freshly cooked pasta and stir to coat.
- Add cheeses and toss to melt.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 2 main dish servings; or 4 side dish servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.