Sautéed vegetables are tossed in a creamy yogurt Parmesan cheese sauce and served over pasta, garnished with toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds.
8 ounces (2 cups) fresh wax or green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
8 ounces (1 1/2 cups) fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup broccoli florets
8 ounces dry vermicelli or spaghetti
1/2 of a medium red or green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
Dash ground nutmeg
1 cup (8 ounces) plain low-fat yogurt
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large saucepan cook beans in a small amount of boiling salted water for 15 minutes. Add asparagus and broccoli. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes more or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, preferably al dente (firm to the bite). Drain; keep warm.
- For sauce, cook the sweet pepper and green onions in butter until tender. Stir in vegetable broth and nutmeg. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Stir together yogurt and flour; add to broth mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until smooth; season with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Pour over vegetables; toss to combine.
- Arrange pasta on individual plates or a large serving platter. Spoon sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts or almonds.
Makes 4 servings.