Penne with Green Olives
Penne pasta is tossed with a simple, spicy Italian tomato sauce with fresh basil, stuffed green olives and Parmesan cheese.
8 ounces penne pasta
12 ounces penne pasta
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in juice, undrained
1/2 cup sliced green, pimiento stuffed olives
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta al dente, according to package directions. Drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet, add olive oil, onion and garlic and cook until onions are softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes including juice, sliced olives, hot red pepper flakes, salt and chopped fresh basil, stir well and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta and stir well to coat and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. If you prefer a spicier taste, add additional hot red pepper flakes or some cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle each serving with grated Parmesan and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.