Penne with Herbed Zucchini and Goat Cheese
A simple pasta dish, penne is tossed with sautéed zucchini, seasoned with fresh herbs, and soft goat cheese.
6 ounces penne or other tubular pasta
3 medium zucchini
1 large garlic clove
2 teaspoons mixed fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, and marjoram leaves
2 ounces (1/4 cup) soft mild goat cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fill a 4-quart kettle three-fourths full with salted water and bring water to a boil for pasta.
- Halve zucchini lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Thinly slice garlic lengthwise and finely chop herbs. Crumble goat cheese.
- In a heavy skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and sauté zucchini, stirring, until browned and just tender. Stir in garlic and herbs and sauté, stirring, 1 minute.
- Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente and reserve 1 cup cooking water.
- Drain pasta in a colander and in a bowl toss with zucchini mixture, cheese, 1/4 cup reserved cooking water, and salt and ground black pepper to taste, adding additional reserved cooking water if necessary.
Makes 2 servings.