Provençal Olive and Tomato Tart
Recipe courtesy of California Ripe Olives.
1/2 cup warm water
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 pound Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/8-inch thick rounds
1 cup California Ripe Olives, halved
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together warm water, yeast and sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes until mixture foams on top.
- Mix in oil and egg. Add flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Knead together for about 5 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface until dough is smooth.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm area for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Roll out dough into a 13-inch circle. Transfer to an 11-inch tart pan, allowing sides to hang over the edges. Press sides into tart pan, then roll a rolling pin, over the top of the tart pan to cut off overhanging edges of dough and discard.
- Spread mustard onto the bottom of tart crust. Cover with concentric circles of sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle California Ripe Olives, thyme, pepper and remaining salt on top.
- Bake in a 400°F (205°C) oven for 30 minutes. Cover with cheese and continue baking for 5 to 10 more minutes until melted and golden brown.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 234; Total Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 35mg; Total Carbs: 34g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 6g; Sodium: 248mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Ripe Olives.