Queso Tortilla Torte
Corn tortillas stacked and filled with a seasoned mixture of mild green chiles and green onions, refried beans and three types of cheese.
1 cup green chiles, mild, diced, drained
3/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin*
24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded Wisconsin Cheddar cheese
3 cups shredded Wisconsin Monterey Jack Hot Pepper cheese
2 cups refried beans
3 cups shredded Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese
3/4 cup tomatoes, diced
Suggested garnishes: sour cream, hot peppers, red or green taco sauce
- Mix together the green chiles, green onions and cumin.
- Assemble 6 tortillas on sheet pans lined with silicone paper, as follows:
- First Layer: Corn tortilla, 1/4 cup (about 2 ounces) green chile mixture and 2 tablespoons Wisconsin cheddar cheese.
- Second Layer: Corn tortilla, 1/2 cup Wisconsin Hot Pepper cheese.
- Third Layer: Corn tortilla, 1/3 cup (about 3 ounces) refried beans and 1/4 cup Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese.
- Fourth Layer: Corn tortilla, 1/4 cup Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese, 2 tablespoons tomato and 2 tablespoons Wisconsin cheddar cheese.
- Bake in oven at 375°F (190°C) for 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand 2 minutes.
- Cut each torta in half; serve one half atop the other. Or cut into quarters; do not stack. Garnish as desired.
Makes 12 quesadillas.
- You may replace the Asadero with any of these Wisconsin cheeses: Wisconsin Monterey Jack, Queso Oaxaca, Queso Quesadilla, Muenster or Fontina.
- Add cooked crumbled ground beef, pork or chorizo to potato mixture.
- For spicier quesadilla, use 1 can mild and 1 can hot green chiles.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.