Ranch House Macaroni and Cheese
Here's a Western-style mac 'n cheese dish that both big and little cowpokes will love!
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons jalapeño chiles, seeded and finely chopped (or to taste)
2 cups (8 ounces) sharp Wisconsin Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained well, thinly sliced
1/4 cup bottled ranch style dressing
8 ounces wagon wheel pasta, cooked al dente according to package directions, drained
2 tablespoons green onions, sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In large, deep saucepan, heat butter until sizzling. Stir in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes or until flour is golden. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, stirring 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thick and smooth.
- Off heat, stir in salt, cumin, red pepper flakes, pepper, chiles and cheddar. Stir until cheese melts.
- Add red peppers, dressing and cooked pasta, mixing well.
- Pour into oval 8x10-inch lightly buttered casserole or similar baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- Sprinkle with the sliced green onions.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.