Ricotta and Parmesan Ravioli
Garden ripe tomatoes are a blessing when available for use in this dish's simplistic topping.
6 large eggs
1 1/4 cups durum flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
Egg wash (combine 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water)
1 cup ricotta
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 egg yolks
Dash ground nutmeg
Pinch salt and ground black pepper
Extra Virgin Olive oil
Ripe tomatoes, chopped
Fresh basil, torn into bite-size pieces
- For Pasta Dough: Stir eggs until mixed together, add flour, salt and olive oil. With a dough hook, knead mix for about 15 to 20 minutes. Form into 6-ounce balls and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Flatten pasta dough, by running through pasta machine, if available, or by rolling out on a lightly floured work surface to about 1/8-inch in thickness.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine filling ingredients together, mixing well.
- To Assemble Ravioli: Spoon out small balls of filling mixture and place them on a sheet of pasta, spaced evenly apart. Brush the flattened pasta around the filling with the egg yolk wash. Cover with a second sheet of pasta of the same size. Press top layer of pasta around balls of filling mixture, making sure to get the air out. Cut into individual ravioli with a pizza cutter or sharp knife to desired shape.
- Cook ravioli in a pot of boiling salted water, for about 1 minute. Remove from water, draining well.
- To serve ravioli, place on a plate, drizzle ravioli with olive oil, chopped tomatoes and basil.
Makes 4 servings.