Rigatoni Au Gratin with Asiago
Rigatoni pasta and asiago cheese are combined with a herb-seasoned tomato cream sauce and baked. Recipe by Chef Philippe Schmit.
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
Bouquet garni*: 2 stems parsley, 4 stems thyme, 1 rosemary sprig and 1 bay leaf tied in cheesecloth
2 cups heavy cream
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
12 ounces rigatoni, cooked (al dente)
2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin Asiago Cheese, grated - divided use
- Prepare a 2 1/2 to 3-quart gratin dish with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- In large pot over medium heat add olive oil. Sauté shallots, garlic and carrot until tender.
- Add tomatoes, bouquet garni and cream. Reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove bouquet garni.
- Add salt and ground black pepper.
- Combine tomato sauce, rigatoni and 1 1/4 cups of the Asiago.
- Pour into prepared gratin dish. Top with remaining Asiago.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 30 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
*If you do not wish to use a bouquet garni, add 1 bay leaf and pinch of ground thyme and dried rosemary with cream. Remove bay leaf after simmering sauce. Garnish dish with finely-chopped parsley, if desired.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.