Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
Recipe courtesy of the National Pasta Association.
12 pieces of lasagna, uncooked
Vegetable oil cooking spray
8 ounces mushrooms, halved
2 zucchini or yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
2 yellow or red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 (26-ounce) jar fat-free spaghetti sauce
1 (15-ounce) low-fat ricotta cheese
1 (10-ounce) frozen chopped spinach
1 large egg white
1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare lasagna according to package directions.
- While lasagna is cooking, preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Coat a shallow metal roasting pan with cooking spray. Add mushrooms, squash, bell peppers and onion.
- In a small dish, combine vinegar, oil, garlic and rosemary; brush evenly over vegetables.
- Bake vegetables 15 minutes; toss vegetables. Continue baking 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are browned and tender.
- Spoon 1 cup spaghetti sauce over bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Arrange 4 pieces of lasagna (3 lengthwise, 1 widthwise) over the sauce. Cover lasagna with 1 cup sauce.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, spinach, egg white and hot red pepper flakes.
- Drop half the cheese mixture by spoonfuls over sauce. Arrange half of the roasted vegetables between spoonfuls of cheese mixture. Arrange another 4 pieces of lasagna over cheese and vegetables, pressing lightly; top with 1 cup sauce. Repeat layering with remaining cheese, roasted vegetables, 4 pieces of lasagna and remaining sauce.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- Cover lasagna with foil; bake 45 minutes Uncover and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese; continue baking, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Pasta Association.