Spanish Potato Skillet
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Potato Board.
1 1/3 pounds unpeeled potatoes, such as round reds or long whites (about 4 medium) cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Several drops hot red pepper sauce
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or chives (optional)
- Put the potatoes into a large saucepan with enough salted water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat half of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes, or until soft and golden; remove from heat.
- Beat the eggs, salt, black pepper and hot pepper sauce in a large bowl.
- Add the onion and potatoes to the eggs, tossing until mixed well. (It's okay if some of the potato slices break.)
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Spread the potato mixture evenly and press it down lightly. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 4 minutes, or until bottom is golden brown, shaking the pan back and forth once or twice.
- Place the skillet under the broiler. (If the skillet handle is not oven-proof, wrap it in triple thickness of aluminum foil before placing it in the oven.) Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until the eggs are set. Watch carefully! Sprinkle with parsley. Cut into wedges; serve hot or warm.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the U.S. Potato Board.