Spiced Pumpkin and Red Beans
A wholesome, delicious and nutritious pumpkin and red kidney bean stew served over rice.
3 cups cooked light or dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups peeled, diced pumpkin
2 medium onions
2 tomatoes, cored and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups water
- To prepare the pumpkin, cut in half, remove seeds, and peel off outer skin. Parboiling or baking the pumpkin first may make peeling easier.
- Coat skillet with nonstick cooking spray and sauté pumpkin and onion for 4 minutes over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, and ginger, and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring frequently. Stir in water and cook for 35 to 40 minutes, until pumpkin is tender.
- Stir in beans and cook for 10 minutes. Serve with steamed rice.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy Michigan Bean Commission.