This great tasting vegetarian tamale pie is sure to become a family favorite for meatless entrées.
3 cups cooked cranberry or dark or light red kidney beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon corn oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup green olives, sliced
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons green chiles, chopped
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, sauté onions, garlic, and green pepper in oil. Stir in tomato paste and chili powder. Then add water, beans, olives, parsley, salt and black pepper. Simmer mixture, stirring, until heated through.
- Spread bean mixture evenly in a greased 8-inch baking dish or shallow casserole.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder. Add egg, milk, oil, and green chiles. Stir mixture until ingredients are moist.
- Spread batter over bean mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400°F (205°C) for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Recipe provided courtesy Michigan Bean Commission.