A hearty and flavorful vegetarian version of the classic Spanish dish.
1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
2 cups long-grain white rice
4 cups vegetable stock
1 large pinch saffron
1 medium carrot, sliced
2 medium celery sticks, sliced
8 plum tomatoes, quartered
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 small eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
10 garlic cloves, finely minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion over a medium heat, stirring until translucent. Stir in the rice and cook for a few more minutes. Add the vegetable stock and saffron, bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate pan, steam the carrot and celery until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the celery and carrot, reserving the water.
- In a large bowl, toss the carrot, celery, tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini, garlic, olive oil, salt and ground black pepper. Transfer vegetables to a lightly greased baking sheet and place in the oven at 450°F (230°C). Roast the vegetables until they are brown on the edges. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 400°F (205°C).
- Meanwhile, in the same pan you steamed the carrot and celery, steam the peas until they are just tender.
- Toss the roasted vegetables with the rice. Stir in the peas. Transfer mixture to a greased casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Serve.
Makes 8 servings.