Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
This is a hearty and pleasing meatless main dish.
4 medium potatoes
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup grated cheese of your choice
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 stick celery, chopped
1 leek, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 (16-ounce) can beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Peel and cut potatoes. Cook in boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender and drain.
- Pour milk over the potatoes and mash until smooth.
- Stir in the grated cheese of your choice and season to taste.
- Heat Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic, celery, leeks, carrots and cauliflower florets.
- Saute all these veggies gently for 10 minutes if the pan dries out too much, add a little water from the boiling potatoes rather than more oil.
- Next add a can of beans that you've drained and rinsed and add Italian seasoning.
- Spoon the beans and vegetable mixture into an ovenproof dish top with the cheesy potato mash.
- Sprinkle over with the top with another quarter cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.