For this sweet and easy pie, the creamy apple cranberry filling is cooked in a saucepan and then poured into a baked pastry shell. Vanilla pudding mix and raspberry gelatin add flavor and contributes to the pie filling setting up.
3 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (3.5-ounce) package raspberry gelatin
1 (3.5-ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
Pastry for (9-inch) double-crust pie - divided use
- For Filling: In a saucepan, combine 3 cups sliced apples, 1 1/2 cups cranberries, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1/4 cup sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in to the apple-cranberry mixture,1 package raspberry gelatin and 1 package vanilla pudding mix. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Pour the fruit mixture into a baked pastry shell (baked according to directions on package or favorite recipe). Cool and set aside.
- Thinly roll out the remaining pie pastry. Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter then place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for 8 minutes. Cool then arrange on the pie.
Makes 8 servings.