Black Forest Cheese Mini Tartlets
Elegant tartlets with chocolate pastry crusts filled with kirsh-kissed mascarpone cream and topped with cherry filling.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup unsalted butter
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon ice water
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese
2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) Wisconsin Mascarpone cheese - divided use
2 tablespoons kirsch or cherry brandy
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- For Crust: In a food processor, combine flour, 2/3 cup of the sugar and cocoa powder; process to blend. Add butter; process 1 minute, or until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Beat 2 of the eggs with water; gradually add while processing mixture. Blend until mixture forms a ball; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For Filling: Cream together cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups of the Mascarpone cheese, and 1 cup sugar. Add 3 eggs, kirsch and vanilla; mix until blended.
- Roll dough, 2 teaspoons at a time, into small balls; place into cups of an ungreased mini muffin pan. With floured fingers, press dough against sides and bottoms of cups, forming a shell; repeat with remaining dough balls.
- Fill each chocolate shell with 1 tablespoon cheese filling.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 25 to 30 minutes. Tarts will puff, then sink while cooling; when cool enough to handle, remove from pan.
- To serve, top each tartlet with 1 dollop of mascarpone cheese and 1 cherry from pie filling.
Makes 12 tartlets.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.