Blueberry Cheesecake Pie
This family-favorite blueberry pie recipe is a definite keeper! Expect rave reviews when you serve this exceptional pie to family and friends.
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable shortening*
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
3 tablespoons ice-cold water**
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F (220°C).
- For Crust: Mix flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut shortening into the flour with a pastry cutter, until mixture resembles tiny split peas. Add the ice water and mix, using a fork, until combined. Gather the dough into a ball.and flatten into 4-inch-wide disk.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle and place in an ungreased 9-inch pie plate. Being careful not to stretch the dough, gently fit it into pie plate; roll the portion that overhangs under and crimp the edge. Carefully prick the bottom and sides all over with a fork. Bake for 12 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- For Filling: Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the cream cheese until light and creamy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add sour cream, sugar, egg, vanilla, lemon zest and salt, continue mixing until well combined. Spread filling evenly into cooled pie crust.
- For Topping: In a large bowl, mix together the flour and sugar, add the blueberries and lemon juice, stirring until well combined. Evenly spoon blueberry topping over the cream cheese filling.
- Bake pie for 40 to 50 minutes, or until set.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack and cool at room temperature for 2 hours, then refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
*For best results, always use a premium brand of shortening such as Crisco.
**During winter months, flour can become "drier", you may need to add more water, about 1 teaspoon or so, but not much more.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 365.16; Total Fat 26.53g; Saturated Fat 10.29g; Cholesterol 63.95mg; Sodium 319.1mg; Potassium 111.53mg; Total Carbohydrates 29.88g; Fiber 1.44g; Sugar 24.43g; Protein 4g.