Chocolate Meringue Pie
A Southern classic, chocolate cream pie in a pastry crust with a crown of fluffy, golden meringue.
1 (9-inch) baked pastry shell
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 large egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large egg whites
1//4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Grated bittersweet chocolate, for garnish (optional)
- For Filling: In the top of a double-boiler, or in a metal bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water, melt the bittersweet and unsweetened chocolates, stirring, until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks; set aside
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly to keep lumps from forming. Remove from the heat.
- Add 1 cup of the hot milk mixture to the yolks and whisk until smooth. Add the beaten yolk mixture to the saucepan with the remaining hot milk mixture and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the melted chocolate, butter, and vanilla. Pour filling into baked crust and top with meringue.
- For Meringue: Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In a large non-reactive bowl using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks start to form. Slowly add the sugar while beating and continue to beat until glossy and stiff peaks form. (Be careful not to overbeat, as will be difficult to spread.)
- Spread the meringue over the filling smoothing out to the pastry edges (so the meringue won't draw up during baking).
- Bake until the meringue is golden, about 14 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 2 hours at room temperature, then refrigerate until ready to serve. Sprinkle with grated chocolate, if desired, and serve. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Makes 8 servings.