Double Blueberry Cookie Pie
Doubly good and easy to make thanks to the convenience of ready-made cookie dough for the crust in this delightful version of blueberry pie.
1 (18-ounce) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough, room temperature
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Spray a 9-inch pie pan and small cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine sugar cookie dough and flour until mixed. Remove about a quarter of the cookie dough; cover with plastic and refrigerate for later use. With floured hands, press unrefrigerated dough into bottom and sides of prepared pan. Place in freezer to firm up, about 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out refrigerated cookie dough 1/4-inch thick. With a floured cookie cutter, cut out stars or other shapes; place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake cookie dough pie crust until golden, about 11 minutes and stars for about 6 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup of the blueberries, the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in 2/3 cup water and the lemon juice. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, crushing blueberries. Stir in remaining 2 cups blueberries; chill.
- Spoon blueberry mixture into cooled cookie shell. Decorate with the star-shaped cookies and whipped cream.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph are courtesy of the US Highbush Blueberry Council. Used with permission.