French Silk Chocolate Pie 1
You'll delight in every bite of the silky smoothness of this pie's rich chocolate filling in contrast to the crisp-tender texture of the pastry crust.
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (preferably Crisco)
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
3 tablespoons ice-cold water
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar*
2 large, fresh eggs**
Sweetened whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- For Crust: Mix flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut shortening into the flour with a pastry cutter, until mixture resembles tiny split peas. Add the ice water and mix in using a fork. Gather the dough into a ball.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into about a 12-inch circle and place into an ungreased 9-inch regular or deep-dish pie plate.
- Place dough in an ungreased 9-inch regular or deep-dish pie plate and gently press dough into pie plate. Trim excess pastry, if needed and flute the edge. Prick crust thoroughly on the bottom and sides with the tines of a fork.
- Bake crust at 425°F (220°C) on center rack of oven for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack before filling.
- For Filling: Using an electric mixer, cream the butter. Gradually add sugar, and beat until mixture is light and lemony in color.
- Blend in the cooled melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating 5 minutes after each addition with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Pour into cooled, baked pie crust. Chill for several hours before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
*This acidic ingredient promotes egg coagulation. Without it, this pie filling might not become firm enough to slice.
**We suggest using a pasteurized egg product for this recipe.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 418.1 calories; 60% calories from fat; 29.4g total fat; 83.4mg cholesterol; 219.0mg sodium; 101.6mg potassium; 36.9g carbohydrates; 1.7g fiber; 19.0g sugar; 35.1g net carbs; 4.7g protein.