Frosted Orange Pie
A elegant orange pie topped with a fluffy meringue frosting similar to classic White Mountain frosting.
1 (9-inch) baked pastry shell
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups water
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 to 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted (optional)
- For Filling: In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; gradually add water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir 1/2 cup hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in orange and lemon peel and then stir in juices, mixing well.
- Pour into baked pastry shell. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill at least 3 hours.
- For Frosting: In a heavy saucepan, or double boiler, combine egg whites, water, cream of tartar and salt. With a portable electric mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low, over low-heat until frosting reaches 160°F (70°C), about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and with electric mixer, beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes.
- Spread over chilled pie. Just before serving, sprinkle with coconut, if desired. Store in refrigerator.
Makes 8 servings.