Glazed Fresh Strawberry Pie
The first sign of sweet summer days ahead, fresh strawberries are juicy and aromatic in this glazed fresh fruit pie.
6 cups strawberries, hulled - divided use
1 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1/8 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
1 (9-inch) baked pie crust
- In a mixing bowl, mash 2 cups strawberries; set aside.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Stir in water and mashed berries. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in red food coloring. Allow to cool.
- Fold in remaining 4 cups whole strawberries and pour into pie shell.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving.
Makes 8 servings.