Mississippi Mud Pie
This decadently rich chocolate pie has an easy marshmallow topping.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons white corn syrup
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9-inch) graham cracker, chocolate or vanilla wafer pie shell
1 to 2 cups miniature marshmallows
Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a saucepan, heat butter and chocolate, stirring often, until melted and well blended.
- Beat eggs; stir in the corn syrup, sugar and vanilla. Add the chocolate mixture to egg and sugar mixture, stirring well. Pour filling into prepared pie shell.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until top is slightly crunchy and filling is set. Remove from oven and carefully sprinkle pie with enough miniature marshmallows to cover top; return to oven and bake just until marshmallows are puffed and golden, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.