Old Fashioned Brown Sugar Pie
Old fashioned brown sugar custard pie topped with a fluffy, golden meringue.
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust*
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Prepare pastry shell, set aside.
- For Filling: In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks, evaporated milk and vanilla, mixing well. Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and salt; mix well. Sprinkle it evenly into the egg/milk mixture.
- Bake for one hour or until custard filling tests done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For Meringue: Beat with an electric mix the reserved egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar beating until stiff, glossy peaks form and the sugar is dissolved.
- Spread meringue over hot pie, sealing to the edges and return to oven to bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is golden. Let cool before serving.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.