Orange-Coconut Cream Pie
A zesty old fashioned coconut custard pie with a twist of orange and topped with a golden meringue sprinkled with coconut.
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust*
3 large egg whites
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- For Filling: Combine sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine egg yolks, water, and orange juice. Gradually stir into the sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils. Remove from the heat and stir in 3/4 cup flaked coconut and grated orange peel. Spoon into unbaked pie crust.
- For Meringue: Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, add sugar and beat to stiff peaks and spread the meringue to seal the edge.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons flaked coconut.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.